Here is a summary of the important facts and information related to anemia.
- Anemia affects about 3.5 million Americans, making it the most common blood disorder in the U.S.
- Anemia is the result of below-normal levels of
hemoglobinin the red blood cells.
- There are many different kinds of anemia ranging from mild and easily treatable iron and vitamin deficiency anemias to serious, and sometimes life-threatening aplastic and sickle cell anemias.
- Fatigue is the main symptom of most anemias.
- Anemia can be usually be detected with a simple blood test.
- Treatment of anemia is based on the cause of the disorder. Treatments range from folic acid or vitamin supplements in mild cases to bone
marrowtransplants in severe cases.
- You should never self-diagnose anemia. Symptoms of fatigue and weakness can be the result of many other diseases. If you suspect you have anemia, consult your doctor.