Here is a summary of the important facts and information related to arthroscopy of the shoulder.
- Arthroscopy is a minimally invasive surgical procedure that can be used to repair injuries to the shoulder with less pain and a shorter recovery time than that required for open surgical repair. It also causes much less scarring.
- Shoulder arthroscopy is commonly used to diagnose problems inside the shoulder as well as to repair problems of the shoulder.
- Shoulder problems that can be repaired with arthroscopy include
rotator cufftears and shoulders that dislocate. The procedure also can remove loose bodies and sometimes treat arthritis in the shoulder.
- Arthroscopy usually does not require an overnight hospital stay, and complications are rare.
- Physical therapy is the key to a full recovery after shoulder arthroscopy.