Here is a summary of the important facts and information related to depression.
- Depression is a medical illness linked to changes in the
biochemistryof the brain.
- Depression affects the mind, but this doesn't mean "it's all in your head."
- Depression is not a weakness of character.
- A clinically depressed person cannot simply "snap out of it" any more than a person with an ulcer could simply will it away.
- Depression is highly treatable in the vast majority of cases.
- Sometimes psychotherapy or counseling is all that is needed.
- There is also a wide array of effective antidepressant medications and alternatives.