Here is a summary of the important facts and information related to diabetes in children.
Here's a summary of what your child needs to do (with your help) in order to stay healthy:
- Test blood sugar at least twice a day and keep results for reference.
insulinshots in the dose and at the times prescribed by the doctor.
- With the help of the doctor, learn how to adjust insulin doses when circumstances change.
- Eat meals that are approximately the same size each day and try to eat at the same time each day.
- Eat satisfying snacks to help prevent
- Get regular exercise.
- Know the signs of hypoglycemia and how to treat it.
- Know when to test for
ketonesand what to do if levels are high.
- Know how to cope with sick days.
- Develop good general health habits, such as good nutrition, exercise, and no smoking or substance abuse.
- Keep communicating with the doctor and the rest of the diabetes team. They're there to help!