Here is a summary of the important facts and information related to Diverticular Disease.
- People with diverticular disease develop small pouches-called diverticula-in the walls of their
diverticuladevelop from excess pressure in the colon that is caused by constipation due to lack of fiberin the diet.
- The condition is common in older people.
- The vast majority of those affected never develops symptoms and remains unaware that they have the condition.
- The diverticula occasionally become infected or inflamed, typically causing tenderness and pain in the lower, left side of the abdomen.
- In a small number of cases, complications can be severe and may result in a life-threatening condition, requiring emergency surgery.
- In most cases, eating a high-fiber diet is the best and only treatment required.