Here is a summary of the important facts and information related to gallstones.
- Gallstones are made of hard, solid material that forms in the
- The gallbladder is a hollow organ that stores
bile, a thick liquid that helps the body digest fats.
- Gallstones can block tube-like ducts that carry bile from the gallbladder to the
- A blockage usually causes severe pain in the upper right part of the
abdomen, just below the ribs.
- Gallstones can be permanently cured with surgery to remove the gallbladder.
- A fairly new operation for removing the gallbladder, sometimes called Band-Aid surgery, means less discomfort and a quicker recovery for patients.