Here are some reliable sources that can provide more information on osteoarthritis.
Arthritis Foundation Services
Arthritis Foundation(national office)
- Arthritis Self-Help Course (ASHC)
A 6 week [15-hour] class that teaches people how to take control of their own care.
- Bone Up on Arthritis (BUOA)
A simplified, self-paced arthritis course. Six lessons on audiocassettes and a workbook provide helpful information about arthritis management.
- Arthritis Foundation YMCA Aquatics Program (AFYAP)
- A 6- to 10-week warm water exercise class that is conducted in a heated pool. AFYAP is designed for people with impaired joint motion and strength. It focuses upon muscle strengthening and joint mobility.
- Land Exercise Arthritis Program (LEAP), and People with Arthritis Can Exercise (PACE)
Courses that offer several levels of exercise to benefit people with any type of arthritis.
- Joint Efforts
A program for older adults that helps to explain the principles of joint protection.
- In Control®
A self-paced videotape about arthritis (text and audiocassette supplements are available).
- Arthritis Home HelpTM
An individualized, computerized, self-management plan that uses quarterly questionnaires, self-care books, and tapes.
- Arthritis Today magazine
An award-winning, bimonthly magazine (with $20 membership donation). For instant membership, call toll-free:(800) 933-0032.
Other Arthritis Foundation Services
- Local Arthritis Foundation Chapters (these may provide a selection of support groups and clubs)
- Arthritis specialist list
- Educational brochures
- One-session educational meetings
Other Support Group Sources
- The Internet
- YMCA and YWCA
- Social service agencies
- Hospital outreach programs
- Senior clubs
- Health clubs
- Surgical supply stores and catalogues
American College of Rheumatology (ACR)
American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons
The Arthritis and Glucosamine Informaion Center
Arthritis: A Comprehensive Guide to Understanding Your Arthritis, by James F. Fries, M.D., is recommended by the Arthritis Foundation as a reference for its trainers and teachers. (5 rating)