Here is a summary of the important facts and information related to pneumonia.
- Pneumonia is an inflammation or infection of the lungs most commonly caused by a bacteria or virus. Pneumonia can also be caused by inhaling vomit or other foreign substances.
- Pneumonia is a serious illness that affects 1 out of every 100 people in the United States each year.
- There are two major kinds of pneumonia: infective pneumonia, which is caused by a bacteria or virus, and aspiration pneumonia, which is caused by inhaling vomit, toxic fumes, or other substances.
- The treatment for pneumonia depends on the cause of the illness.
- A vaccine that can prevent some types of bacterial pneumonia is widely available. People who get a flu shot each year can avoid some viral pneumonia.
- The very old and very young, people with compromised immune systems or chronic diseases, and hospitalized patients are at greatest risk for pneumonia.